A distinctive, B-listed, white-harled octagonal classical church built in 1744 by the mason Thomas Clark to a design by John Douglas of Edinburgh. Inside it has been altered from a ‘wide’ church to a ‘long’ church. Inside the front door of the church is a memorial to Rev James Stewart (1701-89), minister of Killin, who first translated the New Testament into Scots Gaelic (published 1767). For these reasons, the church is a Destination Hub on the St Andrew Pilgrim Journey.
We have recently removed pews at the front and the back of the church and this has proved useful for improving access for the choir, funerals, wheeled access and meeting and welcoming people (especially at the back). The Church electrics are still on the agenda, with the priority to include the work in the upgrade of the whole church building.
About three years ago the Board and Session toured a number of other churches to see how they had updated their interiors to allow for more contemporary use(s). The idea is still waiting to be developed and taken forward.
THE COMMUNITY ROOMS
A modern replacement structure for the old ‘Session House’ completed in 2004 with a small vestry, disabled access toilet, small kitchen and larger meeting room. Well maintained, well used, and still ‘new looking’.
The church owns a substantial amount of land in Killin which is currently rented out to homeowners and a farmer for grazing sheep. The Board and Session would like to explore further the possibility of being able to build upon this land to create low-cost housing for the community which would meet a social need in the village and provide the church with a better, more stable income. We are in the process of going forward with a feasibility study for this.
THE CHURCH HALL
The Church Hall is totally empty, planning permission is in place, and the progressing of the sale is in the hands of 121 George Street.
The chapel building is in a poor state of repair and the Session decided that we can no longer hold services there and the progressing of the sale is in the hands of 121 George Street.
NEW MISSION AND MINISTRY ACTIVITY
The Church offers potential for increased use for mission and ministry. A number of things have had a good ‘season’ – we used to run a cinema club once a month for local children which was quite popular with parents wanting a night off! We have also in the past hosted a 6.30pm evening service once a month organised by Abernethy.
Part of the thinking in removing some of the pews was that the interior of the church would lend itself to other uses more readily. Currently the community choir is the only use apart from Sunday and the other functions of the church, mainly weddings and funerals.